Monday, September 17, 2007

Getting there is half the fun?

I'm actually leaving it up to Laura to write about our driving adventures to see the Yarn Harlot on Saturday, but I'll give you the quickie-version.

I live approximately 30 miles south of Los Angeles and for those of you who've been to California before, I only live about 8 miles north of Disneyland. I now understand why I live closer to the latter ... it's easier to get there!

Not only did we run into some unexpected traffic (although with Los Angeles, why was I thinking there *wouldn't* be traffic?), but we also thought we had missed our exit, and tried to create our own route which led to its own adventures through Chinatown and such. Luckily, the Yarn Gods must have been smiling on us, because we eventually ended up in a parking garage that we thought might be *close* to our destination and as we exited the garage, you'll never believe what was directly across the street from us ... the Los Angeles Central Public Library. The exact location we were looking for. Now, I won't bore you with the details of trying to go home, but let me just say... never a dull moment.

As anyone who has ever written a blog post has stated, attending a Yarn Harlot event is definitely worth the drive, the time, the babysitting expense, whatever. Yes, her books are funny, but listening to her speak made me think I was at the Improv watching a stand-up comedy routine. People around me had tears streaming down there face because they were laughing so hard! The only thing missing were the hot looking waiters serving drinks!

I met a lot of wonderful knitters and it was also real treat to finally get to meet Jillian who not only frequently leaves me some very nice comments here at my little ol' blog, but has been a huge help and support in helping me cope and understand fibromyalgia.

I must definitely give a HUGE thanks to Lynda, who let Laura & I join her group so we could get in to see the Yarn Harlot on Saturday. I was on the first page of the waiting list, but when Lynda offered her few extra tickets to join her group, I jumped at the chance. If you want to read and see all the wonderful photos of the Harlots visit to Los Angeles, the Lynda has a wonderful blog post about it. She even has a photo of me (YIKES)

And where is the photo of me with the Harlot? Hmmmm.... I was so damn excited just to meet her and have her sign my books, that I completely forgot. I'd blame it on blond roots, except at my age, they are gray now. And the most pathetic thing? The camera was hanging from my wrist! I got photos of Laura with her, but none of me. I did however, remember to take a photo of my California State dishcloth that I made for her, and she photographed me with it, which you can see on her blog post.

So what's it like to be on the Yarn Harlot's blog? Absolutely Surreal!!


23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I just saw you on the YH's blog! How cool! Great pic.

jillian said...

I just saw you on the Harlot's blog! Hee hee. It was so great to meet you (in person)! Don't forget, send me your addy if you want me to send you some TJ's stuff :)

Angelika said...

I saw the washcloth on her blog, but the connection didn't click. Now I can put a face to the blog and the name. Thanks. Nice work too.

Micki said...

Woo hoo, you're famous!

Laura said...

Woohoo!

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

How fun!!

Anonymous said...

I saw you on her blog; great picture! Glad to hear you had a good time.

Ellen Bloom said...

Now, you're the star!!! Congrats on getting your photo on the Harlot's blog!

flutter said...

dang you are cute!

Sarah said...

Welcome to the surreal life! I've been there -- get ready for lots of comments!

Karen said...

I saw you over there and recognized you right away!! Wow, you are on the Yarn Harlot's blog!!!! I feel like I know someone famous. :)

abby said...

So cool! The washcloth looks great! And so do you!

I'm sorry that you had road trip troubles... cars are bad.

Lara said...

So cool! That is fantastic that you are on her blog! So funny that you didn't get a picture of you and her together - but you are on her blog. Maybe that is even better?

I hope you are feeling ok. My uncle has Fibromyalgia and it has been very difficult for him.

Lynda the Guppy said...

Glad I could help you out! Sorry I didn't get to see you again before I left. Everyone was tired and ready to head for home. LOL.

Teyani said...

she is wonderful, isn't she!
congrats on the mention on her blog - I'll bet that it shot your stats through the sky!

Anonymous said...

Now, this sounds absolutely exciting indeed! I wonder if the Harlot ever manages to come to Austria?!

kasiaiscarly said...

Fun! I wish I could make it to DC tomorrow to see her :(

Cathy said...

YAY Kristie! I'm so glad you had such a good time. My daughter and I saw her when her first book came out in a little tiny yarn store and had such a good time! She truly is a riot!

Anonymous said...

Oh such fun - I've been to 2 of her "shows" and it is a blast! Nice to see you over on her blog!

kathy b said...

Well, since you say it is worth it, I'll make it a point to try to go when she is around CHicago. I really would not have otherwise. Im going to her blog to see you now and say I knew her when!

Anonymous said...

Jealous, jealous,jealous...

kimberly said...

Of course I had to run over and check out the pictures-you're soo cute. I'm just a tad bit jealous that you got to see Harlot, just a tad. ;)
Oh and did you know (of course you didn't) that I met my husband in Disneyland 14 years ago. It's a good place, where you live. :))

Hasbu said...

Hey, you're famous! That's one very cool washcloth.