Wednesday, September 12, 2007

GP's & FO's

Most of the time I seem to share my GP (Guilty Pleasure) of purchasing yarn, but today, it's something completely different.

Backpack: Get Organized and Collaborate

Go ahead & click on it, take the tour, and sign up for your free account. I did and believe me, I may sleep better knowing everything is a bit more organized now.

One other Guilty Pleasures will be happening on Saturday. I'm going to see the Yarn Harlot! Obviously I will provide photos and details on that next week.

Finished Objects!

Pattern: Shedir by Jenna Wilson
Source: Knitty.com Fall 2004
Yarn: Rowan Calmer colorway 492 (1 skein)
Needles: Addi Turbo (2) 24" circular needles size US 2 (2.75 mm)

Comments: I originally attempted knitting this with size US 3 needles, but halfway through I was running out of yarn, so I frogged it and cast on again with my size 2 addi turbo needles instead. I didn't love working all the cables with the less pointy Addi turbo because frankly I believe the Knit Picks pointy tips are better for this, but what did help with all that cabling was knowing how to cable without a cable needle. I love the finished hat, but I don't think I'd knit this again since my hands ached with all the cabling and I was stressed most of the time knitting it that I was going to run out of yarn. Speaking of the yarn .. it is FABULOUS! If it were less expensive, my stash would be filled with every colorway.


Pattern: Garterlac Dishcloth by Dave
Source: Criminy Jickets
Yarn: Peaches & Creme Ombre in Raspberry Swirls
Needles: Knit Picks Options size 7 US

Notes: Once I figured out how the triangles and squares fit together, and what order they were worked, this knit up very quickly. This was my first attempt at entrelac, and I liked it so much, I'm knitting more! Thanks for a great pattern Dave. I predict that I'll be including these in many Christmas packages this year, and I also predict many will end up in my kitchen too!

I found out through Judy's blog that if you purchase Cat Bordhi's latest book, New Pathways for Sock Knitters, you might want a set of stitch markers that utilize the letters A through H. Since I DID end up purchasing the book because of Judy's subtle blog-post coaxing, (although I'm still waiting for Amazon to ship it) I obviously also needed a set of these stitch markers. Of course Judy had the solution by giving the link to J.L. Yarnworks Etsy shop, where she sells the very thing, but upon doing a further search I fell in love with the stitch markers and row counting bracelet at Hide and Sheep's Etsy store, so I placed a custom order with her.

My order arrived very promptly from Hide & Sheep and not only is their customer service fantastic, but the items I ordered were even better than I expected. Everything arrived in its own tin and not only is the quality of the work outstanding, but no detail was overlooked. I especially love that on the bracelet, there is a small "hook" to hold stitchmarkers. She has quite a large variety of stitchmarkers and bracelets and she even does custom orders, so you should really check her out.
One last very important thing, if you'd like to be entered in a drawing to win some fabulous prizes, please go to Noolie Knits and donate to the Light the Night walk for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. All the details are in this blog post and although last year she raised $1,218, this year she's only raised $555 thus far and there are only 17 days remaining. Please let us help her exceed last years number!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty shedir, stitch markers, dishcloth and bracelet! Lots of lovely knitterly things in this post to look at!

slyn said...

Too many yummy things!! I love everything, no big shocker there everything you do is beautiful. I really love the discloth yarn and feel the strong need to buy some. I'm going to be posting about my knitting projects soon. You did not do the bracelet justice when you described it to me, that's going to be the first thing I buy come pay day, I LOVE IT!!

flutter said...

You are so talented, you know?

Micki said...

Your Shedir looks awesome! That pattern has been on my "to do" list for far too long.

Say hi to the Harlot from all of us who don't get to go see her. :)

Dave said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the dishcloth pattern -- I love the ice cream colours you chose -- and that Shedir is gorgeous!

Carole Knits said...

So many pretty things here today!

Angelika said...

I've done Dave's dish cloth last year too. It's great, isn't it. I also want to do the Shedir, but haven't gotten around to it. Maybe when it gets a little cooler?

abby said...

I had to look up Shedir after hearing about it on Stash & Burn today - and yours is beautiful! I've added it to my queue.

Can't wait to hear what you think about the new Cat Bordhi book!

Hasbu said...

Your Shedir is beautiful! It's been on my to-do list forever.

Beautiful dishcloth. I love the colors, very ice cream. The row counting bracelet looks very nice, I might have to have a look at the Hide and Sheep's Etsy store... :)

Sarah said...

Isn't the garterlac dishcloth fun? I made one last year and love it so much I haven't actually used it to wash dishes!

I really need to bring my Shedir out of hibernation, because yours is so beautiful! I think I started mine in February, but the cables started bothering my hands, and then once it started getting warm it seemed ridiculous to be working on a winter hat (I'm knitting mine in Brooks Farm Four Play, which is a wool/silk blend).

Anonymous said...

First, Thank you for the shout out for LTN!

Your Shedir is gorgeous; I've been thinking about that pattern, but I know all the cabling would drive me nuts. I love the colors you chose for the gartelac dishcloth; I made one a while ago and love it. I think I need to make more. I like it as a facecloth.

Guess I had better go get myself some stitchmarkers; I got the book last week when I bought the prize one, but haven't had a chance to really look through it. Thanks for the heads' up.

Lara said...

Shedir looks great! Doing Cables without a needle is awesome and is so much faster. Don't you love Calmer? That is one of my all time favorite yarns. I wish I had more in my stash too.

Karen said...

Wow, you have been busy knitting away, haven't you? Your Shedir looks so pretty, I'm debating making one for a Christmas present. And I love the colors in you dishcloth - I think it's the prettiest one I've seen. Love your new swag too.

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

As I write this I am (not so) patiently waiting for my Calmer to arrive form WEBS so I can start this project, your Shedir is fantastic!!

Anonymous said...

That is the prettiest color Shedir I have seen! It is my favorite fall/spring hat!
I just got Cat's book - I don't have lettered markers and it looks confusing enough that I may HAVE to get some! (my hope is that once I start knitting and stop just reading about the socks, it will all be simple and easy!)

Sorcha Cavanaugh said...

This is actually in regards to an old post because I don't think you're checking the comments on it anymore and I need your help!

I desperately want to make the Rick Rack Purse by Susan Lawrence that you've made for my niece for Christmas...have already bought the yarn in fact...but the link to the pattern gives me an error!! And KnitPicks says it's discontinued! Do you happen to know where I can find it?

Thank you!
Sorcha

Anonymous said...

Awww, you've got such a lot of goodies here! Your Shadir looks absolutely stunning! I've been planning to try this pattern for ages - seeing your version of it now makes me want to cast on for it right away! Beautiful color too - and the same goes for the dishcloth!