Thursday, September 20, 2007

I'm Twisted

I know why this is called the Twisted Flower sock ... you have to be a bit "twisted" to attempt it! After much anticipation (mainly by me), I'd like to present:

Twisted Flowering Eggplants
(click photo for bigger)


Pattern: Twisted Flower by Cookie A.
Source: Cookie A Knitwear Designs
Yarn: Louet Gems Pearl in Eggplant
Needles: Knit Picks 24" circular size 1.5 US (2.5mm)
Notes: The only modification I did to this pattern was to knit it on two circular needles. I didn't attempt for a moment to convert this to toe-up, but I feel fairly confident that if I knit this again, I could convert it successfully.


WHEW! This pattern was by far the most time-consuming as far as sock patterns go, but look at the results! I've decided to be selfish and keep these for myself. I love the yarn, the color, the pattern and the fit. How often does *that* happen?

The pattern is worth every single penny and more, but ssshhhh, don't tell Cookie. I'd hate to see her pattern prices jump up because of that comment. The yarn was less desirable though. Although I've previously loved knitting with it and only had minor problems with yarn slubs and knots, these skeins were horrible! I think I had 12 ends on each sock to weave in ... ICK! I'm hoping it was just a fluke because I really do like the yarn (and there's more in my stash).

If you decide to purchase this beautiful pattern, a couple of things I would suggest:
  • Pointy-tipped needles -- this makes cabling that much easier
  • Chart reading experience -- trust me on this one
  • Solid color sock yarn -- to show off the beauty of the pattern
  • Experience in cabling without a cable needle -- really, you'll thank me later
  • Full concentration while knitting -- I wasn't able to successful watch television without ripping back
  • Complete trust in the pattern -- everything about it is brilliant.
September Sock A Month 4 KAL socks are complete ... what's up next? I think maybe something plain and simple!

28 comments:

Micki said...

Stunning! I would never want to take those socks off my feet.

Bummer about the grotty yarn, though. This is the first time I've heard about someone having problems with Louet Gems, so I hope it's just a fluke.

Karen said...

I have to admit, I almost never "click photo for bigger" on blogs I read - but with this pair of socks, you bet I did!!!! Those are incredible!! I love them and I'm so glad you are keeping them for yourself. You certainly deserve it. I'm going to have to buy one of those patterns some day - when I feel like starting a huge sock project!! :)

Sarah said...

Spectacular socks! I love this pattern but I don't think I'll ever knit it, because I know I'll never finish it. I just don't think I'd have the concentration to finish both socks. I admire your perseverance!

And I think some plain-Jane stockinette socks are in order now for you -- just to get your sanity back!

Carole Knits said...

Those are absolutely fabulous!

Anonymous said...

WOW Kristie - they are gorgeous!! Sometimes I like having a pattern that requires full concentration (takes my mind off of other things)and these sure fit that bill! BEAUTIFUL!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Those are truly stunning! I'd be wearing those daily even in the summer, I think. But I hear you on the concentration - I really prefer my socks to be mindless.

jillian said...

Woah! Those are incredible! (And in purple!) You certainly deserve to keep those. Cookie's patterns are so intricate, I'm floored.

margene said...

Very, very pretty! The look like a lot of work but FUN work..the type of work we like. Very nice job...I must make a pair, too.

Brena said...

Thanks for the tips! I love that pattern it's so gorgeous. They look great on your feet!

abby said...

Really, really stunning socks! The purple is great - not too dark to show off the amazing details. I'm sorry to hear about the yarn, though - it's got such a good reputation!

Denise Bein Kroll said...

Congratulations these are truely beautiful socks! Enjoy them. I love the color and the pattern.

Laura said...

They're even more beautiful in person, gf, than they are here. So glad I got to see them the other day! And very glad you decided to keep them. :-)

Anonymous said...

That is gorgeous! I will totally have to knit one of these!

Lynn said...

Wow those socks are gorgeous!!! You did a fantastic job on them and deserve to keep them for yourself. Only YOU will appreciate the time and effort put into them. Plus the color is fantastic as well!!

Tammy said...

Wow! They are gorgeous!

flutter said...

Wow. WOW! I think I need to come out your way and have you teach me the proper way to knit socks, those are amazing.

Lara said...

Fantastic job! They look like they were well worth "twisted trouble"! The color is beautiful.

slyn said...

They are so beautiful! I don't know that I will ever attempt them in this life time, but if I do I know who to call. BTW flutter, she is an excellent teacher.

Anonymous said...

WOW! Those socks are stunning! I'd keep them too, if I were you; you deserve them :-)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I need to make another pair since I gave mine away. It's so fun to knit them no matter how insane though, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Pretty! I've never attempted socks so fancy!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! These socks are stunning indeed! I'm totally impressed by the pattern - I can well imagine how very time consuming it was, but it's been worth every minute spent working on it! And that luscious, yummy yarn you've been using - what a beautiful, warm colorway! Yep, these socks are definitely keepers - wear them with pride!

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Oh wow, those are truly gorgeous! How intricate and complicated looking...Sorry to hear of the all the yarn trauma, I have to say that I'm not a big fan of the KP yarns in general:(

kimberly said...

Oh yes, those are amazing and already on my to-buy list. I just love the pattern and yours came out brilliant in that color!

Teyani said...

those are dramtically beautiful!

Hasbu said...

They turned out perfect! You did an amazing job with these. I'm glad you decided to keep them!

kathy b said...

Okay there must be a museum those socks need to be in. They are stunning. COlor is wonderful.

Im going simple today too...dishrag!

Christine said...

WOW! That's about all I can say, WOW! Unbelievable socks. LOVING them!