Thursday, September 06, 2007

Swan Lake De-Mystified

Shall I say last, but not least, ... or are there still a few of you knitting this?

(click for bigger)

Pattern:
Swan Lake by Melanie Gibbons
KAL: Mystery Stole 3 (Yahoo Groups)
Source: Pink Lemon Twist (pattern to be released soon to anyone not in the KAL)
Yarn: Baruffa Cashwool; colorway 11 (black)
Needles: Addi Turbo Lace circular Size 3 (3.25 mm)
Finished Dimensions: 60" x 17"


I love that I decided to jump in with both feet and join this KAL. I've never done anything like this before because frankly, I'm a control freak. I want to know what, when, where and how with what I'm knitting, so this was a complete change for me.


There are a few things I would do differently if I were to knit this again:
  • Pay attention to the blocking instructions. For those of you who have knit and blocked this stole, you'll notice in the photos that I obviously blocked this incorrectly. I forgot to make the points on the wing side. Please don't remind me though, I'm hoping I forget about it so I don't feel the need to re-block it.
  • Use a different yarn. I like the yarn, but I don't love it. I wish I would've chosen a wool/silk blend (like the yarn she recommended) because I think I would've liked the drape better.
  • Use a size 4 (3.5mm) or 5 (3.75mm) knitting needle. Although I think the Addi Turbo Lace needles are amazingly perfect for lace knitting, the size 3 (3.25mm) needles I used didn't create a fabric that was the overall size I wanted.
  • Include the beads. Since I didn't know what the beads would look like in the stole, and since I was afraid it may look tacky, I wimped out and didn't include them. If I were to only change one thing about my stole, it would be to add the beads.
Overall, I'm quite happy with my Swan Lake Stole and I'm looking forward to wearing it on my cruise next month for our four year anniversary. I'll try to get modeled shots of it then.


Also, look what came in the mail! It's my Loopy Ewe order! (click for bigger)

From Left to Right:
  • Panda Cotton in College Prep (freebie)
  • Louet Gems Pearl in Burgandy
  • All Things Heather Sock in Raspberry
  • Regia Design Line Kaffe Fassett in Mirage Storm
  • ShiBuiKnits Sock in Midnight
  • Addi Turbo Lace needles (to add to my growing collection)
This is the second time I've ordered All Things Heather and I'm still in love with it! The photo of the Kaffe Fassett yarn from Regia does not do it justice because this colorway is stunning! Also, if you get the chance to order ShiBuiKnits Sock, definitely do! It's a smooshy, squishy delight, and the color is stunning. This was my 6th order, so I'm now a Loopy Groupie. This is a great thing since now I should be getting notified before she does her sneak-ups. Maybe now I can get my hands on that Wollmeise. I'm coveting the Granatapfel and Gewitterhimmel colorways.

27 comments:

Hasbu said...

Your MS3 looks stunning! I'll be looking forward for some modeled shots.

Judging from the new yarn, I see some great socks in your future!

Micki said...

Lovely MS3! Just call your decision not to block the points "artistic interpretation."

I'm drooling over your Loopy Ewe haul. I just got a box from Sheri too, but I was a bit more restrained. :) Several people in my knitting group have ordered Wollmeise directly from the dyer. It means paying the shipping from Germany, but I think it was reasonable. It's worth it to see how she packages up the yarn.

Anonymous said...

Your shawl is gorgeous!

Karen said...

You are certainly not last with the shawl - I put mine down somewhere in the "double clue" (was it #4??) and haven't touched it since. I will finish it some day though (hhmmmm, before my cruise, probably not!). I love how yours came out - it's so pretty in the black yarn. Don't worry, the lack of points don't show at all - and especially when you have it wrapped around you, no one would see the points anyway. Mmmmmm, love all your new sock yarns.

Sarah said...

Your shawl is simply stunning! I wouldn't have known about the blocking thing (not having participated in the KAL) if you hadn't said something; I think it's beautiful as is! I'm looking forward to seeing shots of you modeling it.

Carole Knits said...

The stole is gorgeous. And yours is the first finished one I've seen.

Anonymous said...

Your shawl is beautiful!! The black is very stunning.

I don't think I've every knit a thing... except maybe a washcloth, where I didn't find things I wish I'd done differently :o)

Lara said...

I love your MS3! It looks fantastic! I think the wing looks just fine without the points blocked. You can still see the "feathers". I am so coveting your Loopy Ewe stash. You are seriously prompting me to go over there and place an order so I can be a Loopy Groupie too!

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

I think it looks lovely! Congrats on finishing it!

slyn said...

I love it! I agree with everyone else that it looks beautiful even without the wing points.

I want to see a picture of your stash, it must be quite large by now!

Laura said...

Your shawl is fabulous, sweetie. I wouldn't change a thing. Hugs.

I *do* however, have sock yarn stash envy.

Anonymous said...

Your MS3 is simply stunning. There are no other words. I really like the way you've blocked it, too. I wouldn't change a thing.

Cathy said...

Oh Kristie, it is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sorry I didn't join in, I got cold feet, although I'm sure I wouldn't be nearly done yet! lol I can't wait to see the modeled shots from your cruise. You must be getting excited with it coming up so quickly!

Your Loopy Ewe goodies are wonderful, I love the colors :)

flutter said...

That is entirely breathtaking

Brena said...

Gorgeous shawl! I absolutly love yours!!!!!!! I agree that the mystery shawl alongs seem intimidating.

I'm dying to try some All Things Heather!

jillian said...

Wonderful! It turned out beautifullly!

And what a haul :) Whew - you can shop for the sock yarn!

Tammy said...

Your shawl turned out beautifully! I was too chicken to sign up for this one. Maybe I'll have to try one in the future.

As for those Loopy Ewe sneak-up notices... watch out! They're killer on the wallet! :)

Anonymous said...

It's fantastic! It's only the 2nd finished one I've seen and the 1st in that color. Beautifully done!

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Killer haul from Loopy Ewe--you and I have the same taste a I would've ordered ALL the same yarns!! And your shawl is AMAZING, the prettiest one I've seen in blogland.

Anonymous said...

It is gorgeous, Krisie! I didn't use beads either, but I like it without just fine. I'm really jealous that you get to wear yours on a cruise!

beautiful yarn haul too!

Anonymous said...

ooops....Kristie

Lain said...

I am so amazed you were able ot do this... so NOT me... too controlling, like you said!
How many hours would you say you put into knitting it? I'm very curious as I'm new to lace knitting and have to make sure it pays off in terms of love-per-minute. ;)

abby said...

Oooo! Inspiration to pick up the Mystery Stole! It's really beautiful, and I think you'll look great on your cruise with it. It's a perfect cruise accessory.

I love everything in your Loopy Ewe order! Shibui has a sweater pattern using their sock yarn, which I got to try on in Portland. It's so nice. How was that trip to Oregon?

kathy b said...

well the stole is absolutely gorgeous. Your stash has caught my eye. I love the Raspberry.

Anonymous said...

Awww, your MS3 looks so absolutely stunning! What a delicate and fragile looking pattern - arrrgh, why in all the world didn't I join??? *Regrets big time*

kimberly said...

Hi, my name is Kimberly and I'm a control freek too. It's nice to be part of the group. ;) I'm also glad I decided to give up control and do something according to someone else. Your stole is gorgeous in black!! Gorgeous! I was worried about the beads being tacky too but I bought white matte ones and then really didn't show up at all so I wish I had chosen something a bit different too. Great job!

kimberly said...

That would be control freak-Oh Toto, if only I had a brain!!