Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Drunk Blue Bees

I think it's about time for a post regarding an FO, and although I wish it were the Tangled Yoke, I'm still yet to block it so you'll have to settle for socks.

Drunk Blue Bees

click photo for bigger

Pattern: Drunken Bees by Domesticat
Pattern Source: Ravelry or Domesticrafts
Yarn: ShibuiKnits Sock in Midnight, 2 skeins
Needles: (2) KnitPicks Circular 24" size 2.25 mm
Notes: The pattern is definitely not written for a beginning sock knitter since you need to be pretty familiar with the basic construction of a sock. Thankfully I've knit enough socks now that step-by-step instructions aren't always needed anymore, and for the most part I've figured out how to substitute the heels and toes I want as well as convert patterns cuff to toe or toe to cuff.

Pattern Comments: If you're experienced in knitting socks this would be a wonderful pattern to knit that will not only hold your attention while you knit it, but give you a beautiful sock in the end. It reminded me a bit of the Cookie A patterns that you can purchase, except this one was free. Had the designer given detailed instructions in multiple sizes, she could've easily charged money for this pattern and deserved it!

Yarn Comments: This yarn was even better than I expected and I'm excited to get off my yarn diet in a few days so I can purchase more. This particular colorway reminds me of the STR shaded solid colorways that Blue Moon Fiber Artisans so beautifully dye, and the yarn itself is soft, spongy and has a beautiful twist. Just in case you're tempted to try some, I think The Loopy Ewe may have some in stock. Maybe.

22 comments:

flutter said...

man you are just a socky madwoman

Brena said...

The shading on that is incredible!

Karen said...

Ooooohhh, I love them. What a terrific looking pattern. :)

Lara said...

Another beautiful pair of socks as always! Lovely color too. Glad to hear what you think of the yarn....I have had my eye on it at the Loopy Ewe. Maybe I need to buy some.

Hasbu said...

Beautiful socks!

I can't wait to see your Tangled Yoke. :)

Angelika said...

Great socks. I love the color.

Carole Knits said...

Those are fabulous!

Sarah said...

They are gorgeous! I should really bite the bullet and knit one of these fancy-shmancy stitch pattern socks, since I'm always so jealous of yours.

Sending you blocking mojo! (C'mon -- don'tcha want to wear your Tangled Yoke?)

Anonymous said...

Now that is an intricate beautiful pair of socks!!
I've gotta try some Shibui!!

Dave said...

They're gorgeous! I love the cable down the heel flap, and the colour is incredible.

abby said...

Gorgeous socks! I'm glad to hear that you like the Shibui, because I've got a bag of it at home to make a sweater. (What was I thinking? A sweater from sock yarn?)

Therese said...

Those are Gorgeous socks .. wow .. i love the color too ... man i think that will go on things to do list .. :)

Anonymous said...

Love those socks! I snagged the pattern, just in case I might want to knit them someday. :-) Soon.

BTW, Knit Purl in Portland is the home of Shibuiknits. You can over via the web.

Not that I'm enabling or anything.

Laura said...

These socks are even more gorgeous in person, gf. It was a danger bringing them over, though. You almost didn't get to take them home again! LOL Definitely looking forward to someday getting my hands on some of this yarn. Yum.

Knitting Bandit said...

Thanks for the pattern review. I was initially excited about knitting it, but after a quick glance (really a glance) at the pattern I was a little unsure if I wanted to continue. I'll give it another look becasue they are really cool socks. Good job.

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing knitter! Love these in the blue!

kathy b said...

I think a beautiful pattern like that deserves a single color yarn in shades. Multicolored yarns seem to hide the lovely details. WHat a great job youve done.

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Totally stunning, love that blue so much!!

KeanaLee said...

Honey, they are BEEutiful!

Micki said...

Gorgeous! They're almost too pretty to put on your feet. (Of course, I'm wearing my Drunken Bees as I write this.)

Brenda said...

I found you through Tienne. Such beautiful Drunken Bees! The blue is gorgeous and the yarn really shows the stitches well.

Anonymous said...

Awww - these socks are ever so beautiful! You know, there's so many sock patterns out there by now that it's really hard to find a unique pattern that hasn't been around in all forms and variations already. But this pattern is certainly very, very unique - and ever so beautiful! And added to that the awesome colorway you've been using - yep, these are keepers indeed! Gorgeous work!