Sunday, January 06, 2008

Are you really only 31? I feel so old.

Happy Birthday baby sister (who's not quite a "baby" anymore).  Not only is she one of my sisters, but even if she weren't, I would like to think that we still would be close friends.   

My sister is a very talented artist and a delicious baker, so last year she combined the two and started making one-of-a-kind cakes.  I'm always amazed at the fantastic confections she creates and I hope that someday I'll be lucky enough to be the recipient of one of her cakes. 

Last year on her birthday I let her choose one of four fabulous gifts, but this year I figured it out all by myself.  Since her favorite color is green, and since I know she doesn't have any for herself, I decided to treat her to some hand knit socks.  Unfortunately, they didn't get complete in time to make it in her mailbox for today, but they are going in the mail on Monday (along with the delayed socks I knit for her daughter's December birthday).  Do we see a horrible trend here or what?

A Twinkle in the Congo

Pattern:  Twinkle Toes by Cookie A.
Yarn:  Cider Moon Glacier in Congo 
Needles:  3.5mm (US 4) 24" KnitPicks circulars

Pattern Notes: This is definitely a great pattern to try if you are intimidated by other patterns written by here.  Since it's knit with DK weight yarn, it knits up fairly quickly, but still introduces you to Cookie's fabulous design work.  I knit these two at a time on 2 circular needles, and cast on using Judy's magic cast-on (of course).  I knit 5 pattern repeats before starting the instep increases, but I should have only knit 4.  In the heel section, I used the yarn over method that Cookie demonstrated on the Knitty Gritty episode instead of wrapping the stitches as written in the directions.  I knit 6 pattern repeats on the leg which makes them a bit long, but hopefully she prefers a longer leg like I do.  I used the sewn cast-off for the very first time and I'm wondering why I never tried it before.  Brilliant. 

 

Yarn Notes:  It's super soft, squishy, the color variation is beautiful, and it smells great.  The downside is that in Sept 2007, the Cider Moon blog said that due to a legal matter, they've stopped doing business.  It's such a shame because I'm not one to typically purchase DK weight yarn, but I really think this is one I'd purchase again.  Hopefully whatever the issue is, it will be resolved soon.

Final Thoughts:  While I'm pleased overall with how these turned out, I'm afraid they may be a tad too big for her.  Then again, she could just wear them around the house as big slouchy socks, right?

Thanks to all of you for your comments on my last post.  I'm still trying to sort through all the emails and read each of your blogs, so bear with me while I try to catch up this week.  

16 comments:

flutter said...

looks like artistry runs in the family

Micki said...

Really gorgeous socks! I doubt your sis will mind that they're slightly late. Good things are worth waiting for.

KeanaLee said...

I love the socks - I am working on a pair right now - hoping to get them done before I go to the hospital on Thursday to have this baby, I read the blog & got caught up on your life. I'm trying to be better in the new year about leaving comment sto cyber friends. Happy Birthday to your sister.

Angelika said...

If they are too big it would just be a reason for you to knit her another pair of socks. I've tried the sewn cast off before and failed misserably. Maybe I need to give it another try sometime.

Laura said...

Wow. That cake is amazing! Love the socks, girl. Very pretty. The yarn is fabulous, too. Bummer about Cider Moon. :-(

Carole Knits said...

I think they are beautiful socks. I, too, am bummed about Cider Moon.

Tammy said...

I LOVE those socks! I'm sure your sister will find the wait worthwhile!

abby said...

The socks are fantastic! I'm sure that your sister will love them (and the fact that you are extending the birthday celebration by mailing the gift tomorrow).

Viva Scrapper! said...

Cool....loves me some green socks!

Hasbu said...

I love the socks! Lovely!

slyn said...

Oh thank you they are so beautiful! I cannot wait to get them in the mail. I do not care in the least that they will come some time this week, it gives me something happy to look forward to! Thank you thank you! I'm so glad I have such a talented sis!

Sarah said...

They are beautiful, and I know your sister will love them! (I don't know how she couldn't love them!)

Anonymous said...

Talent runs in your family! Happy birthday to your sis!

Karen said...

Such pretty socks. And the cake is so cool - I take it that it's one your sister made?

kathy b said...

Great sisters can figure it out once in awhile can't we? Your green socks are beautiful. What a gift!

Anonymous said...

Wish blogger didnt make it so difficult to post if you have a blog elsewhere. Anyways, Love the socks and am gonna go to the link and check em out! I hope your sis will wear em and cherish them for years to come:-)